Sunday, October 10, 2021

How to add extra length to a pair of jeans

 


My sister has very long legs and never seems to find well fitting jeans or trousers.

So when she got two pairs of jeans passed on to her, she asked me if I could help.


Of course I could, it even sounds like a lot of fun to me. 

I'll show you how to add length to jeans or trousers here. 


The first pair I added a extra piece of fabric into the leg. 

First I ironed the jeans as it is important that it's a clean cut. Then measured where to cut and how much. Marking it with a dissolveing fabric marker. 



Carefully cut off the bottom of the jeans 




Find some fabric similar to the jeans 
I have used fabric from another pair of jeans that were donated to me. 

If you have some that fit perfectly just cut out the entire piece. Mine didn't so I made 4 pices an sewed to and two together. 



Open up the side seams of the jeans you are adding length to. 
This will make it easier to add the extra fabric. You don't need to open it up all the way, just a little bit, both at the bottom and the top of where you cut the jeans 







Sew the new pieces to the jeans 


Trim off excess fabric so it will fit the legs 


Sew the cut off bottom of the leg to your added piece of fabric 





If you only want a piece of fabric, you can close the side seams and you are done. 
This works well for sweat pants and children's trousers. 
But I don't think it's particularly good for women who don't get long enough jeans. 
You want something that looks good right. 
So my plan was to hide it under some ribbons. 
Making some really fancy jeans for my little sister 

I tried different ribbons and lace until I found something I was satisfied with 


Pinning the first one in place, the rest I just put next to the other. 
Make sure you get the ribbon at the exact same place on the other leg and repeat the process 

When the ribbons are all in place, close the side seams and you are done 


Close up of the finished leg 



I think this one turned out pretty well 
My sister was very happy with them and think this definitely will be next years fashion 🤔 


Jeans are now about 7 cm longer 


And fitted my sister perfectly. 

Check out part 2 for how I altered the second pair 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Wool jacket repair

  I was asked if I could mend this double wool jacket. At first the owner only thought it was a few holes in the sleeves but discovered a bi...