Saturday, July 10, 2021

How to replace a button



The importance of a button is usually not noticed until it's missing. 

 If you have followed Mendingmayhem over at Instagram you know I sometimes like a lazy solution. Like this dress I found second hand and it was missing a button an had a tiny hole next to the pocket.


I just put a butterfly 🦋 brooch there instead. Well the next one fell off too, so I thought I should  fix it properly today.


Of course I didn't have a matching button, so I made it visible by using one that stands out instead.

It made me think about all the items I have found second hand that just is missing a button. So I think I actually need to show you how to replace a button as it seems a lot of people don't know how to.

To replace a button you will need 

sewing thread 

A sewing needle 

Scissors 

Replacement button 




Find the right place for your button, usually you can see tiny holes there the button have been. 



Sew a couple of stitches in the same place to secure the end of your thread.

I have just learned that some people make an x stitch underneath the button, and that I probably have been doing it wrong all my life 😂 but guess what my buttons still stay in place. I checked with some of the sewing experts I know Tricia and   Maria  they said they never learned the x stitch either. 

It would make good sense if it's a large coat button or similar. 


My button had 4 holes, some has just 2 but it's the same approach. Sew a few times up and down through the holes and the fabric 


A flat button needs a shank so you shouldn't tie your sewing thread way to tight. 
Wrap the thread 5-6 times around the bottom of the button, around the threads you sew it to the fabric 



Then  stick the needle through the wrapped threads and sew a couple of stitches to secure the ends. Cut your thread and you are done.

             Shank buttons 

Secure the thread by sewing a couple of stitches in the same place. 



 Sew through the shank and then through the fabric. Back up through the fabric and again through the shank. Repeat a few times 






Secure the end of the thread by sewing a few stitches in the same place. 
Your button should be safely replaced. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wool jacket repair

  I was asked if I could mend this double wool jacket. At first the owner only thought it was a few holes in the sleeves but discovered a bi...