Sunday, July 25, 2021

Dorset buttons



                    DORSET BUTTON 



the Dorset button are made using a ring and for example pearl cotton embroidery thread. I often use a thin crochet thread as well. 

You can use different kind of rings wood, metal or plastic. Metal rings must be rust free. Rust free washers works fine. You can even use curtain rings to create larger buttons. 

You need to know Blanket stitch and Back stitch in order to make this button. 

There are a lot of different patterns f



or Dorset buttons but today we are covering the most common one the Dorset Cartwheel Button.

I used a plastic ring this time as I had a few at hand. 

Secure the thread by making a knot, I use to put the tail under the blanket stitches after. 

Blanket stitch around the hole ring 


Make sure you are making the stitches tight together so there is no gap between the stitches. 

Turn the ridge off the blanket stitches into the middle of the ring 


Now it's time to make the spokes wrapp the thread around the ring until you have 8 [my ring is tiny so I used 8 but you can add more if you want to] threads all crossing in the middle. 





Secure the middle cross with a x stitch. [both the top and bottom threads] 





Now you should start weaving around the strands of threads doing back stitch 



Keep going with blanket stitch until you have filled it all the way. Secure ends on the back 







You can use the Dorset button as any other button and they also makes great jewellery 
I made earrings out of mine 
Just created a hoop for the earring piece on the back 



Next time I want to try Yorkshire buttons 

I found a great pdf download over at this Blog


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wool jacket repair

  I was asked if I could mend this double wool jacket. At first the owner only thought it was a few holes in the sleeves but discovered a bi...